Watermelon, Tomato, and Basil Skewers
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 4 to 5 pound watermelon, cut into 32 (1 1/2-inch cubes
- 32 small basil leaves (or torn larger leaves)
- 16 cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Special equipment: 16 (6-inch skewers)
- This recipe was originally seen on Everyday Italian. Episode: Baby Shower.
- Combine the balsamic vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved. Turn off the heat and set aside to cool.
- Starting with the watermelon squares, push the watermelon to the very tip of the skewer. Then skewer a basil leaf, then a tomato half. Continue with another watermelon, basil leaf, and tomato half. Place the skewer on a serving platter so it stands upright, using the lowest watermelon square as a base. Continue with the remaining skewers.
- Drizzle the skewers with the reserved balsamic syrup and the olive oil. Sprinkle with coarse salt. Serve.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 38 grams
- 2 grams
- 7 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1 grams
- 1415 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 33 grams