Smoked Salmon Risotto
2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 shallots, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
1 cup carnaroli rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or vermouth
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup water
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives
- 3 tablespoons crème fraiche
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest, from 1/2 lemon
- 1 (4-ounce) package sliced smoked salmon
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
Heat a medium Dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the oil and the butter and heat until fully melted. Add the shallots and 1/2 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until the shallots are soft and fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce the heat to medium and stir in the rice. Cook stirring often, until lightly toasted in the oil, about 3 minutes. Add the white wine and cook until fully reduced, 1 minute longer. Add 1 cup of the chicken broth and cook, stirring often until almost all of the broth is absorbed, about 9 minutes. Add the water and repeat, another 6 to 7 minutes.
Finish with the remaining cup of broth and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, stirring often for about 8 minutes. The rice should be just cooked through and be creamy in texture and consistency. Stir in the chives, crème fraiche and lemon zest. Divide into bowls and top with a few ribbons of smoked salmon and a sprinkling of chopped dil.