Roasted Eggplant and Almond Dip
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 1 1/2 pound globe eggplant
- 1 head garlic
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened almond butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (from 1/2 lemon)
- 1 tablespoon chopped Italian parsley
- Pita chips or crudite for dipping
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Pierce the
- eggplant all over with the tip of a paring
- knife and place on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Cut off the top 1/3 of the head of garlic and
- place on a sheet of aluminum foil large
- enough to enclose it. Drizzle the garlic with
- the olive oil and sprinkle with 1/4 teaspoon of
- the salt.
- Bring the foil up and round the garlic and
- crimp to seal. Place the package on the tray
- with the eggplant and bake for 45 minutes.
- After 45 minutes, remove the garlic from the
- oven and bake the eggplant an additional 30
- minutes or until very soft and slightly
- deflated. Allow the eggplant to cool slightly.
- Squeeze the roasted garlic into the bowl of
- a food processor. Cut the eggplant in half
- and use a large spoon to scrape out all of
- the flesh, leaving the skin behind. Add the
- flesh to the food processor along with the
- almond butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, and
- remaining salt. Puree on high for 2 minutes
- until the mixture is smooth and silky.
- Place in an airtight container and chill
- completely. Serve cold, sprinkled with the
- parsley, along with pita chips or crudite for