Giada De Laurentiis
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium fennel bulb (chopped)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (stemmed, seeded, and diced)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 6 large garlic cloves (thinly sliced)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (divided, plus extra for seasoning)
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper (divided, plus extra for seasoning)
- 3 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice
- 3 dried bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon crumbled saffron
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red chili flakes
- 8 ounces whole-wheat spaghetti (broken into 1- inch pieces)
- 10 small little neck clams (scrubbed 10 mussels, scrubbed and debearded)
- 12 large shrimp (peeled and deveined)
- 8 ounces halibut (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- In a 5-quart saucepan or Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the fennel, bell pepper, onion, and garlic to the pan. Season with 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Cook until the vegetables are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the clam juice, the tomatoes with juices, bay leaves, paprika, saffron, and chili flakes. Bring the mixture to a simmer.
- Add the spaghetti and cook, uncovered and stirring occasionally, until almost tender, about 9 minutes.
- Add another 1/4 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Add the clams, mussels, shrimp, and halibut. Cover and cook until the clams and mussels open and the shrimp are pink and cooked through, 5 to 6 minutes. Discard the bay leaves any unopened clams or mussels. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the parsley and serve.