Italian Cherry Pound Cake
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 eggs, (at room temperature)
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 ¾ cup all purpose flour,
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 heaping cups fresh cherries, (pitted*)
- Powdered sugar, (for dusting)
- *Cook',s Note: Frozen cherries can be substituted in for fresh. Thaw completely and drain any excess liquid before using.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 9x5 inch loaf pan and line the bottom and sides with a strip of parchment paper.
- To a large bowl, add the butter and sugar. Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the mixture on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add the sour cream and mix on medium, scraping the sides if necessary, until thoroughly mixed. Reduce the speed to low and add the eggs, one at a time, making sure each addition is fully incorporated before adding the next egg. Add the vanilla and almond extract, and beat to combine. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Mix the ingredients together until just combined, being careful to not overmix.
- Set aside 1/3 cup of cherries for topping the cake, and slice them in half. Set aside. Add the remaining 1 2/3 cups cherries to a bowl or plastic bag, and add the 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour. Coat the cherries evenly with the flour and set aside.
- Add 1/3 of the cake batter to the prepared loaf pan. Next, evenly sprinkle ½ of the floured cherries on top of the layer. Add another 1/3 of the cake batter, and top with the rest of the floured cherries. Add the last third of batter, and decoratively top it with the reserved slice cherries.
- Bake for 65 to 80 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the top is evenly golden brown. Remove to a rack to cool for at least 30 minutes.
- Dust with powdered sugar for serving. Slice and enjoy.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 63 grams
- 8 grams
- 41 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 25 grams
- Trans Fat
- 1 grams
- 183 milligrams
- 633 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 35 grams
- Unsaturated Fat
- 13 grams