You must be signed in to print this content
Giada De Laurentiis
- 3 cups water
- 2 ½ cups white vinegar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cauliflower (cut into bite sized florets)
- 2 carrots (peeled and sliced 1/6-inch thick)
- 1 red pepper (halved, seeded and sliced into ¼ inch sticks)
- 1 yellow pepper (halved, seeded and sliced into ¼-inch sticks)
- 2 stalks of celery (sliced ¼-inch thick, on the bias)
- 1 serrano or jalapeo chili pepper (sliced ‚1/4-inch thick)
- 1 ½ teaspoons dry oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
For The Marinade:
- To a large, nonreactive saucepan add the water, vinegar, salt, and sugar. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a boil. Add the cauliflower and carrots and cook for 3 minutes. Add the peppers and celery to the pan and stir to make sure they are submerged.
- Simmer another 3 minutes. Add the chilies to the same pan, turn off the heat, and cover the pan. Allow the vegetables to marinate in the hot liquid for 4 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl whisk together the oregano, pepper flakes, black pepper, olive oil, and vegetable oil. Whisk in 2 tablespoons of the cooking liquid. Drain the vegetables and add them to the marinade. Using a large spoon, toss to coat well in the marinade. Allow to cool to room temperature.
- Cover and chill completely in the fridge. Allow the mixture to marinade in the refrigerator for one day, stirring 2 or 3 times throughout the day. The mixture will keep for a week in the refrigerator.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 15 grams
- 1 grams
- 14 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 1 grams
- 507 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 10 grams