You must be signed in to print this content
Fresh Pasta Dough
Giada De Laurentiis
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour and the semolina. Create a well in the center and add the eggs and egg yolks. Using a fork, break up the eggs then gradually start to draw flour from the edges of the well into the mixture.
- When the dough gets too firm to mix with the fork switch to mixing with your hands. Continue to work in flour until the dough no longer sticks to your hands, you may not need to incorporate all of the flour.
- Transfer the dough to a lightly floured surface and knead the dough for 8 to 10 minutes or until it is smooth and pliable. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap and allow to rest for at least 30 minutes.
- If using a pasta roller: Divide the dough into 4 pieces. Starting with the machine set to the widest setting, pass the dough through the rollers. Fold the dough into thirds and pass it through again 2 more times. Continue passing the pasta through the machine, reducing the setting a few notches each time. You may need to dust a bit with flour if the dough sticks to the rollers at all. Once you reach your desired thickness, use the cutting attachment to cut the pasta sheet into fettuccine. Dust the cut pasta with more flour to prevent sticking and repeat with the remaining dough.
- If using a rolling pin: Divide the dough in half. Dust your surface with flour and sprinkle a bit on your rolling pin as well. Roll out the dough as thin and as evenly possible, adding flour as needed to prevent sticking. Use a paring knife to cut your dough into even ribbons, then set aside, dusting the cut pasta with more flour. Repeat with the remaining dough. (At this point the pasta can be transferred to a sealable plastic bag and frozen for up to 3 months, do not defrost before cooking.)
- Cook the pasta in a large pot of generously salted boiling water, checking for doneness after just 1 minute, fresh pasta cooks very quickly. As soon as it is just al dente, no more than 3 or 4 minutes, drain, reserving some of the cooking water if desired for saucing the pasta. Toss with your sauce, loosen with some of the reserved cooking water as needed and serve immediately.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 51 grams
- 12 grams
- 5 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2 grams
- 189 milligrams
- 37 milligrams
- 2 grams