Creamy Mashed Potatoes with Cabbage
Giada De Laurentiis
1/2 cup olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 clove garlic (smashed and peeled)
- 1 small head savoy cabbage (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 pound Yukon gold potatoes (peeled and quartered (about 3 to 4 large potatoes))
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups chicken broth (homemade preferred)
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- This recipe originated on an episode of Giada Entertains. Episode: Go Green or Go Home.
Heat a medium dutch oven over medium heat. Add 1/4 cup of olive oil to the pan along with the chopped onion and smashed garlic. Season with 1/2 teaspoon and salt. Cook the onions slowly, stirring often with a wooden spoon, until they are soft and tender, about 8 minutes.
Add the chopped cabbage and an additional 1/2 teaspoon salt and stir to combine. Cook for 2 minutes or until the cabbage wilts. Stir in the potatoes and the enough broth to cover the mixture. Season with the remaining salt. Bring the mixture to a simmer and cook stirring often until the liquid is reduced by half, the potatoes are tender and the cabbage is silky and soft, about 30 – 35 minutes.
Using a potato masher or a whisk, crush the mixture until it loosely resembles the consistency of mashed potatoes. Stir in the additional 1/4 cup of olive oil and serve sprinkled with chives.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
- 30 grams
- 6 grams
- 28 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4 grams
- 1956 milligrams
- 6 grams
- 5 grams