Spumoni Ice Cream Cake
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons neutral oil, such as avocado, plus extra, for greasing the pan
- ¼ cup cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ½ quarts vanilla ice cream or gelato (one generic large carton)
¼ cup chocolate hazelnut spread
- 1 tablespoon Amarena cherry syrup
⅓ cup Amarena cherries, halved
¼ cup pistachio spread
- ⅓ cup pistachios
For The Chocolate Crust:
For The Layers:
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 9x3 inch springform pan with neutral oil, then place down a strip of parchment paper so there is overhang on the long sides of the pan. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the large egg, granulated sugar, and neutral oil until smooth and combined. Add the cocoa powder and whisk again until fully incorporated. Add the flour, baking powder and salt. Switch to a silicone spatula and mix until fully incorporated with no dry streaks left.
- Pour the batter into the springform pan, and smooth it out with a knife or offset spatula to ensure it bakes evenly. Bake in the oven for about 12 minutes, until puffed and set. Remove and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Once the pan is no longer warm, prepare the ice cream layers. Set aside three medium bowls. Separate the vanilla ice cream evenly into the three bowls. To the first bowl, add the chocolate hazelnut spread. Mix with a wooden spoon; it will take a minute to come together completely. When it’s spreadable and fully incorporated, it’s ready. Spread the layer directly onto the brownie crust, making sure it is an even thickness throughout. Set the pan back in the freezer in between creating the layers to allow them to set slightly.
- For the second layer, add the tablespoon of cherry syrup to the second bowl of vanilla ice cream. Stir until combined and smooth. Add in the cherry halves once the ice cream has softened a bit, so that you are able to easily fold them in without crushing them. Remove the pan from the freezer, and add the cherry layer on top of the chocolate hazelnut layer. Set the pan back in the freezer.
- To the third bowl of ice cream, add the pistachio spread and pistachios. Mix to combine until smooth, and evenly spread it on top of the cherry ice cream layer. Cover the top of the pan with plastic wrap, and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- When ready to serve, bring the pan out of the freezer. Allow the springform pan to thaw slightly before unhinging it. You may have to use a thin knife or offset spatula to help release the cake from the sides of the pan.
- If desired, use a large metal spatula to lift the entire cake off of the bottom of the springform pan. Otherwise, simply slice into wedges and serve cold.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
- 46 grams
- 7 grams
- 20 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 9 grams
- 53 milligrams
- 144 milligrams
- 5 grams
- 34 grams