Sorrento Orange Olive Oil Cake
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, from 1 small orange
- 1/4 cup whole milk, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup orange infused olive oil
- 2/3 cup sliced almonds, toasted and crumbled
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Lightly whipped cream, for serving
- Fresh orange segments, for serving, optional
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8-inch-diameter cake pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. Lightly oil the paper and set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt to blend. Using a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat the sugar, eggs, and zest on high until pale and fluffy, about 5 minutes. Beat in the milk and gradually beat in the oil. Add the flour mixture and stir just until blended. Remove the bowl from the mixer and fold in the almonds reserving a few to scatter on top. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan and sprinkle with the remaining almonds.
- Place the cake pan on straight sided baking sheet to collect any possible spills. Bake until a tester inserted into the center of the cake comes out with moist crumbs attached, about 30 to 35 minutes. Transfer to a rack and cool for 15 minutes. Remove cake from the pan and cool completely, top side up.
To serve, dust the top of the cake with powdered sugar. Cut the cake into slices and serve with lightly whipped sweetened cream, fresh orange segments if using, and an extra drizzle of orange olive oil if desired.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- 1 Serving
- per serving
- 26.3 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3.9 grams
- Trans Fat
- 0 grams
- 70.5 milligrams
- 239.5 milligrams
- 46.6 grams
- 1.6 grams
- 27 grams
- 6.6 grams