Sausage, Spinach, and Apple Strata
Giada De Laurentiis
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound breakfast sausage (casings removed)
- 2 shallots (chopped)
- 1 apple (such as Honeycrisp, chopped into ‚1-inch pieces)
- 1 10-ounce box chopped frozen spinach, thawed, squeezed dry
- 8 cups cubed Italian bread (from a 1-pound loaf)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature, for the baking dish)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 6 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- Heat the oil in a heavy large skillet over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook about 5 minutes, breaking it up into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Add the shallots and sauté until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the apple and the spinach and sauté over medium-low heat for another 2 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Place half of the bread cubes in a buttered 3-quart baking dish. Sprinkle half of the mozzarella over the bread, then top with half of the spinach mixture. Repeat layering.
- Whisk the milk, cream, eggs, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and pour evenly over the strata. Top with the Parmesan cheese. Chill the strata, covered with plastic wrap, at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Bake the strata uncovered until puffed, golden brown, and cooked through, about 50 minutes. A thin knife inserted in the middle of the strata should come out clean. If the top browns too quickly, cover with a sheet of aluminum foil. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.