- 2 heads radicchio
1/4 pound thinly sliced finocchiona salami
1/4 pound provolone piccante, cut into 2-inch by 1/2- inch rectangles
2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for the pan
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, plus more for the water
1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, from 1/2 an orange
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
Aged balsamic vinegar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Lightly oil an 8x8 inch baking dish. Set aside. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and season generously with salt. Prepare a bowl filled with ice and cold water.
- Cut the bottom of the radicchio off, freeing all the leaves. Separate the leaves, being careful not to tear them. Working in batches blanch the leaves for 10 seconds. Remove the leaves from the boiling water with a spider and place directly into the ice bath. Continue with remaining leaves. Dry the leaves well on a clean kitchen towel.
- Piece a few leaves together to make a 4-inch sheet of radicchio flat on a board. Shingle 2 or 3 finocchiona, depending on the size of the salumi. Place one piece of cheese in the center and warp the leaf and salumi around the cheese, tucking in the sides as you go. Place the little package in the prepared pan. Continue with the remaining radicchio, salumi and cheese. The pan should be snuggly packed with 12 rolls.
- In a small bowl combine the breadcrumbs, 2 tablespoons olive oil, salt, parmesan cheese, orange zest and oregano. Drizzle the involitini with a touch of olive oil and sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the top. Bake until the breadcrumbs are golden brown and the cheese is soft, about 25 minutes. Serve hot, drizzled with balsamic vinegar if using.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
- 9 grams
- 18 grams
- 26 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 10 grams
- 56 milligrams
- 839 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 1 grams