Pan-Seared Salmon Burgers with Fennel Slaw
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 fennel bulb (shaved into rings on a mandolin or sliced thin)
- 1 orange (cut in between the membrane into segments)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 pound wild salmon fillet (cut into 1-inch pieces 1/4 cup chopped Italian parsley)
- 4 teaspoons capers
- 1 large shallot (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest (from half of an orange)
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest (from 1 large lemon 2 tablespoons whole-wheat panko bread crumbs 1 egg white)
- 1/3 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 4 3-inch whole-wheat buns, for serving
For the slaw:
For the burger:
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a medium bowl, combine the shaved fennel, orange segments, dill, vinegar, olive oil, and salt. Toss gently to mix and set aside to let the flavors mingle while you prepare the burgers.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the salmon, parsley, capers, shallot, orange and lemon zests, panko, egg white, and salt. Pulse a few times just to roughly chop the salmon and mix everything together. Remove from the bowl and divide the mixture in quarters. Gently shape each portion into a patty about 1/2 inch thick.
- Preheat a medium saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil, and when it's hot add the salmon burgers. Cook for approximately 3 minutes per side, or until the patties are cooked through and golden on both sides.
- Meanwhile, place the split buns under the broiler until toasted, about 4 minutes. Place each patty on a toasted bun and top with some of the fennel slaw.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 20 grams
- 16 grams
- 11 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2 grams
- 26 milligrams
- 315 milligrams
- 4 grams
- 6 grams