Sweet and Tangy Orzo Salad
Giada De Laurentiis
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (peeled, halved and chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1 pound orzo
- 1 fennel (halved and sliced thin)
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 2 cups baby arugula (chopped)
- 1/2 pound fresh mozzarella cheese (diced)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
For the Dressing:
- As seen on: Giada in Italy, Episode 3. Poolside Picnic.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the vinegar, Dijon mustard, olive oil and salt. Set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and 1/4 teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until soft and golden brown, about 12 minutes. Add the onions to the dressing and stir to coat. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook the orzo for 10 minutes or until al dente. Drain well and add, while still warm, to the bowl dressed onions. Stir in the fennel and dried cranberries and allow to cool to room temperature for about 20 minutes. Add the arugula and mozzarella and toss to combine. Serve at room temperature or refrigerate until ready to serve.