Olive Oil Sorbetto with Berries and Balsamic
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cups water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 10 basil leaves
- 1 egg white
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Fratepietro
- 2 cups mixed berries
2 tablespoons good aged balsamic vinegar, such as Bonini
- As seen on: Giada In Italy, Episode 5. What Would Nonno Dino Make?
- Combine the sugar, water, salt and basil in a small sauce pan and place over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a simmer, stirring occasionally to help dissolve the sugar. Simmer gently for 2 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the basil from the simple syrup and discard. Whisk the egg white in a medium bowl until frothy. Whisk the hot syrup into the beaten egg white. Whisk in the lemon juice and olive oil. Switch to a rubber spatula and stir occasionally for 5 minutes or until just warm to the touch. Refrigerate until completely chilled, stirring occasionally, about 2 hours.
- To freeze the sorbetto, use a hand held blender to emulsify the base mixture. When the base looks creamy and smooth, pour it directly into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufactures directions. When it is the thickness of a thick milk shake, remove the mixture to an airtight container and freeze until ready to serve. Do not over process or the mixture will separate.
- To serve, scoop the sorbetto into a small coup or bowl, sprinkle with the berries and drizzle with the balsamic.