Lighter Chicken Milanese
Giada De Laurentiis
5 tablespoons olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 1 pound, butterflied in half)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 fennel bulbs (trimmed, halved and sliced into thin half moons)
- 1 red onion (halved and sliced thin)
- 1 15 ounce can Hunt's diced tomatoes, drained
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, the panko and 1/4 teaspoon of salt. Toast the bread crumbs stirring often for about 3 minutes or until golden brown and crispy. Remove the breadcrumbs to a shallow bowl and stir in the parmesan. Set aside to cool.
- Wipe out the skillet, place it back over medium high heat and add 2 tablespoons olive oil to the pan. Season the cutlets evenly with the remaining salt and the red pepper flakes. Place the cutlets in the pan and sear for 3 to 4 minutes per side or until deep golden brown and cooked through. Remove the chicken to a platter.
- Place the pan back over medium heat. Add the remaining tablespoon olive oil to the pan along with the fennel and onion. Cook, stirring often for about 4 minutes or until soft. Stir in the drained tomatoes and continue to cook for an additional 3 minutes to warm everything through. Stir in the basil. Spoon the vegetable mixture over the chicken and sprinkle with the parmesan bread crumbs.