Lentil Burgers with Lemon-Basil Mayonnaise
Giada De Laurentiis
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots (minced)
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 4 ounces button mushrooms (about 6, finely diced)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme leaves
- ½ cup frozen petite green peas (thawed)
- 2 15-ounce cans lentils, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup plus ½ cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons egg-free mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup refrigerated egg-free mayonnaise (such as Vegenaise)
- ½ cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Grated zest of 1 large lemon
- 1 head butter lettuce (leaves separated)
- 2 plum tomatoes (thinly sliced)
For the Burgers:
For the Lemon-Basil Mayonnaise:
For the burgers:
- In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat ¼ cup of the oil over medium-high heat. Add the shallots, ¾ teaspoon of the salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the pepper. Cook until soft, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, mushrooms, thyme, the remaining ¾ teaspoon salt, and the remaining ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook until the mushrooms are soft, 6 to 8 minutes. Set aside to cool slightly.
- In a food processor, puree the peas and half of the lentils until smooth. Transfer to a medium bowl. Add the remaining lentils, 1/3 cup of the cornmeal, the mayonnaise, lemon juice, and the mushroom mixture. Form the mixture into 6 (3-inch-thick) patties.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of the remaining cornmeal on a baking sheet. Put the formed patties on top of the cornmeal. Sprinkle the remaining ¼ cup cornmeal on top of the patties. Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat the remaining ¼ cup oil in the same skillet over medium heat. Add the patties and cook until golden brown, 4 minutes per side.
For the lemon-basil mayonnaise:
- In a small bowl, mix together the mayonnaise, basil, and lemon zest until smooth. Smear the mayonnaise on the lentil burgers. Serve over the lettuce and tomato slices.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 20 grams
- 4 grams
- 46 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 6 grams
- 828 milligrams
- 4 grams
- 3 grams