Grilled Peach Crostata with Thyme Whipped Cream
Giada De Laurentiis
- One 9-inch-round unroll-and-bake refrigerated pie crust (thawed)
1 teaspoon olive oil (for the grill pan)
- 1 pound fresh peaches (peeled, pitted and halved (about 2 large or one)
- 10- ounce bag frozen peaches (thawed))
- 1 teaspoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons lemon juice (from 1/2 small lemon)
- Pinch fine sea salt
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh thyme
For The Crostata:
For The Thyme Whipped Cream:
- For the crostata: Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Place the pie crust on a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Place a grill pan over medium-high heat or preheat a gas or charcoal grill. Drizzle the oil over the grill pan. Drizzle the peach halves with the balsamic vinegar, then grill flat-side down until softened and grill-marked, 3 to 4 minutes. Slice the peaches into wedges and arrange in a circle over the crust, leaving a 2-inch border. Fold the dough border over the filling to form an 8-inch round. Pleat the edge of the pastry and pinch to seal any cracks in the dough.
- Combine the sugar and 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan and cook without stirring until it has become a deep amber color, about 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and slowly whisk in the butter, lemon juice and salt. Immediately pour the caramel over the peach slices.
- Bake the crostata until golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- For the thyme whipped cream: Meanwhile, combine the heavy cream, sugar, vanilla and salt in the bowl of an electric mixer. Whip until the cream has soft peaks, about 2 minutes. Gently fold in the thyme.
- Let the crostata cool for 15 minutes to let the caramel settle, then cut into wedges and serve with a dollop of thyme whipped cream.