Fusilli with Fresh Pomodoro
- 1 pound fusilli pasta
- 1 1/2 pounds of beefsteak tomatoes (about 4 large tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves (smashed)
- 3 stems fresh basil (plus 1/4 cup chopped basil)
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup fresh ricotta cheese (more for garnish if desired)
- 1 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano (plus more for garnish if desired)
- As seen on: Giada in Italy, Episode 4. Dino's Pasta Factory.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Cook the pasta 2 minutes less than the box suggests, about 8 minutes. Drain well reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Using the large holes on a box grater, grate the flesh of the tomatoes stopping when you are left with just the skin. Heat a large straight-sided skillet over medium high heat and add the oil. Once the oil is hot add the garlic and cook, stirring constantly, until the garlic is fragrant and beginning to brown, about 2 minutes. Add the grated tomatoes, whole basil and salt to the hot oil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook for 5 minutes. Remove the garlic and basil stems and stir in the ricotta. Add the pasta followed by the parmesan cheese directly to the pasta. Stir to combine and coat everything in the sauce. Cook for another 2 minutes to finish the pasta and thicken the sauce slightly, adding pasta water if it ever looks dry. Stir in the chopped basil and serve topped with additional cheese if desired.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 31 grams
- 12 grams
- 11 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 4 grams
- 16 milligrams
- 293 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 3 grams