You must be signed in to print this content
Fluffy Lemon Buttermilk Pancakes
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup buttermilk (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest (from 1 lemon)
- 3 eggs (divided, at room temperature)
- Maple syrup for serving
- 1 cup berries (sliced, optional)
- Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat. Use a paper towel to coat lightly with the vegetable oil. In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a liquid measuring cup, combine the buttermilk, vanilla, lemon zest, and egg yolks. Stir together with a fork. In a separate medium bowl, whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form, about 3 minutes. You can use a handheld mixer for this as well.
- Add the buttermilk mixture to the flour mixture and gently stir together with a rubber spatula until nearly, but not completely, incorporated. Now gently fold in the egg whites, being careful not to deflate the whites, until the mixture is just barely combined.
- Raise the heat under the griddle or skillet to medium and ladle the batter by 1/2 cupfuls. Cook until bubbles start to form on the surface of the first side, about 2 minutes. Flip the pancakes and cook for an additional minute or until cooked through.
- Remove to a plate and keep warm in a low oven until all of the batter is used and you are ready to serve. Wipe the griddle with more oil between batches if needed. Serve with maple syrup and the berries, if desired.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 47 grams
- 10 grams
- 6 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2 grams
- 122 milligrams
- 437 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 20 grams