Crema Di Limoncello
- 10 lemons
- 1 750-ml bottle vodka
- 8 cups half and half (two quarts)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 4 cups sugar
For Infusing The Limoncello Base:
For The Syrup:
- Using a vegetable peeler, remove the peel from the lemons in long strips (reserve the lemons for another use). Avoid peeling too much of the white pith, as it can result in a more bitter infusion. Place the lemon peels in a 2-quart pitcher. Pour the vodka over the peels and cover with plastic wrap. Steep the lemon peels in the vodka for 3 to 4 days at room temperature.
- For the syrup, stir the half and half, vanilla extract and sugar in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Do not boil the mixture. Stir frequently until the sugar completely dissolves, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and cool completely to room temperature. The mixture will thicken as it cools.
- Discard the lemon peels from the limoncello base, and stir in the cooled syrup. Transfer the limoncello to bottles. Seal the bottles and refrigerate until cold, and serve. You can freeze bottles for up to 3 months.