Creamy Spinach and Mushroom Lasagna
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter (at room temperature, for greasing the baking dish)
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (plus extra for drizzling)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 12 ounces cremini mushrooms (cleaned and quartered)
1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups heavy cream (at room temperature)
- 1 3/4 cups whole milk (at room temperature)
1/3 cup all-purpose flour, such as Petra
- 2 cups 8 ounces grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 2 cups 8 ounces shredded mozzarella cheese, plus 1 ½ cups (6 ounces)
- 2 5-ounce bags baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- ¼ packed cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
9 8 x 5-inch fresh lasagna noodles or 9 dried lasagna noodles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter a 9 x 13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish. Set aside.
- For the vegetables: In a large non-stick skillet, heat the oil over high heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are soft and any liquid from the mushrooms has evaporated, about 20 minutes.
- For the sauce: In a heavy-bottomed 5-quart saucepan, bring the cream, milk, and flour to a simmer over medium heat, whisking constantly for 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to low. Add the Pecorino cheese and 2 cups of mozzarella cheese. Whisk until the cheeses have melted and the sauce is smooth. Remove the pan from the heat and stir in the spinach, basil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add the mushroom mixture to the sauce and stir to combine. Set aside to cool slightly.
- If using dried pasta, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Salt well, then add the dried lasagna noodles and cook for 6 to 8 minutes until just tender. Drain and cool slightly before using.
- Spread 1 cup of the sauce over the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Arrange 2 sheets of fresh pasta or 3 boiled lasagna noodles on top in a single layer. Spread with 2 cups of sauce. Repeat the layers with the remaining pasta sheets and sauce, ending with sauce. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 ½ cups of mozzarella cheese. Drizzle with olive oil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes until the filling is bubbling and the top is golden. Cool for 20 minutes. Cut into squares and serve.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 13 grams
- 10 grams
- 21 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 12 grams
- 75 milligrams
- 320 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 3 grams