Italian Sheet Pan Chicken
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 garlic clove (smashed and peeled)
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed (toasted (see Cook's Notes))
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked hot paprika
- 3 tablespoons vegetable juice cocktail (such as V8)
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 3-pound chicken, cut into 6 pieces (see Cook's Notes)
- 3 cups diced rustic Italian bread
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 freshly grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 small fennel bulb (stalks removed, thinly sliced)
- 1/2 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves (torn)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Extra-virgin olive oil (as needed)
For The Chicken:
For The Bread Salad:
- This recipe first appeared in Giada's Italy.
- Place the garlic, onion powder, fennel seeds, oregano, salt, paprika, vegetable juice, and olive oil in the bowl of a food processor. Puree until it forms a rough paste. Place the chicken pieces in a resealable plastic bag. Add the paste to the bag and rub the marinade all over the chicken pieces. Seal the bag and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours and up to 8 hours.
- Place one rack in the middle of the oven and another in the top third of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Remove the chicken from the bag and arrange the pieces on a rimmed baking sheet. Place in the oven on the middle rack and roast for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl, toss the diced bread cubes with the olive oil and 1/2 cup of the Parmigiano-Reggiano. When the chicken has roasted for 30 minutes, remove the baking sheet from the oven and scatter the bread cubes around the chicken pieces. Return to the oven, this time on the top rack, and cook 15 to 20 minutes longer, or until the bread is toasted and the chicken is golden brown and registers 160°F on an instant-read thermometer. Remove from the oven and let the chicken rest for 10 minutes.
- In the same large bowl used for the bread cubes, combine the tomatoes, fennel, basil, lemon juice, the toasted bread cubes, the remaining Parmigiano-Reggiano, and all of the juices from the chicken tray. Add a bit of extra-virgin olive oil, if needed, depending on the amount of juice from the chicken, and toss well. Serve the bread salad alongside the roasted chicken.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 7 grams
- 17 grams
- 21 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 5 grams
- 60 milligrams
- 289 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 1 grams