Cranberry Chocolate Baked French Toast
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 cups whole milk
- 5 eggs (beaten)
- 1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 7 cups leftover (day old bread or rolls, cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup leftover cranberry sauce
- 1/2 cup bittersweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- In a medium bowl whisk together the milk, eggs, salt and vanilla until smooth. Butter an 8 inch square baking dish and add the cubed bread. Dot with the cranberry sauce pushing it down slightly into the bread. Sprinkle with the chocolate and pour the milk mixture over the whole thing. Mix gently to make sure all the bread is soaked. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Remove the french toast and allow to sit at room temp for 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle the French toast with the sugar and bake for about 1 hour or until the custard is just barely set in the center. Allow to sit for 15 minutes before serving, drizzled with maple syrup.