Beet, Olive, and Kale Salad
Giada De Laurentiis
- 6 medium beets, (trimmed and scrubbed (different colors if available))
- 8 cloves garlic, (peeled and smashed 6 thyme sprigs)
- 6 rosemary sprigs
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Zest and juice of 1 orange, (segments reserved for the salad)
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 ‚ÅÑ4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 small bunch Tuscan kale, (ribs removed and leaves sliced thin)
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- 1/2 cup castelvatrano olives, (pitted and quartered)
- 1/2 cup hazelnuts, (toasted and peeled)
For the Salad:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- On a large piece of aluminum foil place the beets, garlic, thyme, and rosemary. Drizzle with the oil and sprinkle with salt. Bring the foil up and around the beets and seal to create a small package. Place on a baking sheet and bake for about 1 1‚ÅÑ2 hours or until the beets are tender when pierced with the tip of a knife. Allow the beets to cool slightly. When cool enough to handle, peel the beets by simply rubbing off the skin with a paper towel or by using a small pairing knife. Cut the beets into bite-sized pieces. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together 2 tablespoons of orange juice, the orange zest, apple cider vinegar, olive oil, and salt. Add the beets and toss. Massage the kale slightly and add the kale to the beets along with the feta, olives, and reserved orange segments. Toss gently. Top with the hazelnuts and serve.