Baked Parmesan Mashed Potatoes with Bread Crumbs
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 pounds russet potatoes (peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 cup whole milk
1/2 cup (1 stick butter), melted
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
1 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons plain dry bread crumbs
- This recipe originally appeared on Everyday Italian. Episode: Dinner for Two.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 13 by 9 by 2-inch baking dish with 1 tablespoon of butter and set aside.
- Cook the potatoes in a large pot of boiling salted water until they are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain, return the potatoes to the same pot and mash well. Mix in the milk and melted butter. Mix in the mozzarella and 3/4 cup of the Parmesan. Season, to taste, with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish. Stir the bread crumbs and remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the bread crumb mixture over the mashed potatoes. Recipe can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time, cover and chill.
- Bake, uncovered, until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
- 19 grams
- 4 grams
- 8 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 3 grams
- 20 milligrams
- 170 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 16 grams