Almond Orange Pandoro Christmas Cake
The Giadzy Kitchen
- 1 Pandoro cake, (horizontally cut into 5 tiers)
- 8 oz mascarpone
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 ½ cups heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon orange zest, (from one orange)
- ¼ teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice, (from one orange)
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Decorations of choice: pomegranate seeds, (pistachios, candies, sprinkles)
- Powdered sugar, (for dusting)
For The Mascarpone Whipped Cream:
For The Orange Syrup:
For The Decorations:
- Prepare the pandoro cake by carefully cutting it horizontally with a serrated knife into 5 separate tiers. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mascarpone, powdered sugar, heavy cream, orange zest, almond extract and salt. With an electric mixer or by hand, whip until the mixture forms stiff peaks. Do not overmix, as it can curdle. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine fresh orange juice (from the orange the zest came from) and 1 tablespoon of honey. Mix until the honey has dissolved.
- Place the bottom piece of the pandoro on a serving plate. Using a pastry brush or a spoon, dab some of the orange syrup onto the bottom layer. Spread some of the mascarpone whipped cream over the cake. Place the next slice of pandoro on top, turning it slightly so the ridges of the cake do not match up with the below layer(this creates the Christmas Tree effect). Repeat with the orange syrup and mascarpone whipped cream on all layers until you get to the top layer. Decoratively top the cake with any leftover whipped cream.
- Decorate the cake with pomegranate seeds, sprinkles, candies, et cetera. Finish the cake by dusting with powdered sugar through a mesh strainer.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 62 grams
- 7 grams
- 41 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 25 grams
- 177 milligrams
- 396 milligrams
- 1 grams
- 24 grams
- Unsaturated Fat
- 8 grams