Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This healthier and simplified version of eggplant parmesan is a perfect fit for an easy weeknight meal.
Sheetpan Eggplant Parmesan
- 4 japanese eggplants cut in half lengthwise
- 1/4 cup olive oil divided
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 - 1 cup of storebought or prepared marinara
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup basil leaves torn
- Pinch of red pepper flakes if desired
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Arrange the halved eggplants, cut side up, on a rimmed baking sheet. Rub them with 2 tablespoons of olive oil, and season with the kosher salt. Roast them for about 15 minutes until tender.
- Remove the eggplants from the oven. Divide the marinara over the halves. Sprinkle the mozzarella evenly on each eggplant half. In a small bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Top the eggplant halves with the crumb mixture, then return to the oven for about 12-15 minutes until brown and bubbly.