Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Pumpkin Persimmon Slab Pie
For The Crust:
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 2 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup 2 sticks chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 1/3 cup mascarpone cheese chilled
- 3 to 4 tablespoons apricot preserves
For The Filling:
- 1 15 oz can pure pumpkin puree
- Four 6- to 7-ounce ripe Fuyu persimmons trimmed, peeled and cut into
- 1- inch pieces or 2 cups of persimmon pulp from two 6- to 7-ounce very ripe Hachiya persimmons
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup mascarpone
- 2/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 8 large eggs at room temperature
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Whipped cream for serving
For the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly spray a 17x11 inch rimmed baking sheet.
- In a food processor (with at least 9 cup capacity), blend the flour, sugar and salt until combined. Add the butter and mascarpone cheese and blend until moist clumps form. Gather the dough into a ball. Drop 2-inch pieces of dough over the bottom and sides of the pie dish. Using moist fingertips press the dough together to form a smooth crust. Using the tines of a fork, prick the dough all over.
- Bake the crust until the edge is browned and the center of the crust is pale golden, about 25 minutes. Transfer the crust to a work surface. Brush the bottom of the crust with apricot preserves.
For the filling:
- In a food processor, combine the pumpkin and persimmon. Blend until smooth. Add the sugar, mascarpone, cream, cornstarch, cinnamon, salt and eggs. Blend until smooth. Pour the filling into the cooked crust.
- Bake the pie until the center is set, about 30 - 35 minutes. Cool the pie on a rack. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Bake and cool to room temperature. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and refrigerate.)
- Just before serving, dust the top of the pie with powdered sugar. Cut into squares, dollop with whipped cream if desired, and serve.