You must be signed in to print this content
Tuscan Pork Sausage Ragu
The Giadzy Kitchen
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sweet or spicy Italian pork sausage
- 1 red onion (diced)
- 1 carrot (peeled and diced)
- Kosher salt
- 1/2 cup dry red wine (such as Chianti)
1 1/2 cups tomato puree
- 1 large sprig of rosemary
- One 2-inch rind of Parmesan cheese
1 pound pasta, such as Pappardelle or Fettuccine
1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese (plus more for garnish)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and sausage and cook, stirring often and breaking apart the sausage with the back of a wooden spoon, until beginning to brown, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat for the pasta.
- To the skillet with the sausage, add the onion, carrot and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Cook, stirring often, until fragrant and the vegetables are almost cooked through, about 4 minutes. Deglaze with the red wine, scraping up the brown bits from the bottom of the skillet. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until reduced by half, about 3 minutes. Stir in the tomato puree, cheese rind and rosemary sprig. Reduce the heat and simmer gently for 15 minutes.
- Once the pasta water is boiling, season generously with kosher salt. Add the pasta to the water and cook until just al dente, about 8-10 minutes. Reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- Remove and discard the Parmesan rind and rosemary sprig from the sauce. Add the pasta to the sauce and sprinkle the bare pasta with the Parmesan cheese and basil. Add 1/2 cup pasta water and toss well to coat, adding more pasta water as needed to maintain a light sauce. Serve with more Parmesan cheese on top if desired.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 66 grams
- 14 grams
- 8 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 2 grams
- 7 milligrams
- 158 milligrams
- 4 grams
- 7 grams