You must be signed in to print this content
Spaghetti with Clams
Giada De Laurentiis
1 pound pasta, such as Spaghetti Chitarra or Bucatini
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots (thinly sliced)
- 5 to 7 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 2 1/2 pounds Manila clams (scrubbed clean)
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley (chopped)
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (diced into small cubes)
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 lemon (zested, for garnish)
- In a large pot, bring to a boil 6 quarts of salted water. Add pasta, stirring constantly in the beginning to prevent it from sticking together. Cook until al dente, about 8 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the olive oil in a large saute pan. When almost smoking, add shallots and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 3 to 4 minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the clams and wine. Cover and simmer for 6 to 8 minutes or until most clams have opened.
- Add 2 tablespoons chopped parsley. Whisk in butter to thicken sauce slightly.
- Drain pasta in a colander. Do not rinse pasta with water - this will remove the pasta's natural starches. Place pasta into the clam saute pan and mix thoroughly. Check seasoning.
- Pour pasta into large serving bowl. Zest lemon over the dish, being careful not to zest the white part of the lemon, which is bitter. Garnish with remaining parsley. Serve immediately.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 4 grams
- 63 grams
- 43 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 10 grams
- 166 milligrams
- 549 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 2 grams