Sicilian Potato Salad (Insalata Vastasa)
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Intini Out Of Stock
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest, from 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1 lemon
1 teaspoon dried oregano, such as Filippone
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided, plus more for the water
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 pound baby Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 pound green beans, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup pitted green olives, such as Castelvetrano or Cerignola Out Of Stock
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
In a large shallow serving bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon zest, lemon juice, oregano and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Set aside.
- Place the sliced onion in a strainer. Rinse well under cold running water for about 30 seconds. Dry well on a clean dish towel and set aside. Place the potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Season generously with kosher salt and bring to a boil over high heat. Continue to boil the potatoes until the tip of a knife inserted in the center goes in easily, about 12 minutes. Add the green beans to the water and cook another 1 minute.
- Drain the potatoes and beans and cool slightly, about 5 minutes. Cut the potatoes in half. Add the warm halved potatoes to the dressing along with the cooled beans, red onion, tomatoes, remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, green olives and black olives. Toss well to coat.