You must be signed in to print this content
Giada De Laurentiis
1 tablespoon olive oil
- 12 ounces sweet or mild Italian sausage
- 1/2 cup tomato paste (from a 6 ounce can)
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon oregano
1 teaspoon Calabrian chili paste, for spice, if desired
- 1 cup (4 ounces) thick-cut shredded mozzarella, such as Tillamook
- 1 pound pizza dough, homemade or store-bought
All-purpose flour, for rolling out pizza dough
- 1 egg, beaten, for egg wash
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan
For The Filling:
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a medium skillet. Add the sausage and cook until crumbled and golden, about 6 to 8 minutes. Turn off the heat and add the tomato paste, stirring until the sausage is coated. Allow the mixture to cool for 5 minutes, then add the salt, oregano, Calabrian chili paste if using, and shredded mozzarella. Stir to combine and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Roll out the pizza dough on a lightly floured surface to a thin 12 by 17 inch rectangle. Cut the rectangle in half lengthwise. Then, cut each half into 4 equal rectangles.
- Spoon topping onto 1 side of each of the rectangles. Using a pastry brush, brush the edges of the rectangle with egg wash. Close the rectangle of pizza dough over the topping, gently stretching if necessary. Use a fork to seal and crimp the edges. Place the pizza pockets onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush the top of each pizza pocket with egg wash. Sprinkle with the Parmesan. Bake until golden, about 18 to 20 minutes. Allow to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.