You must be signed in to print this content
Paccheri with Steak and Peppers
Giada De Laurentiis
1 pound pasta, such as Paccheri or Calamarata
2 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for serving)
- 1 pound top sirloin (cut into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt (divided)
- 1 clove garlic (smashed and peeled)
- 1 small red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 small orange bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese (plus more for serving)
- 2 cups packed baby arugula
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water well with salt. Add the paccheri and cook 2 minutes less than package directions, about 10 minutes. Drain well reserving 1 cup of pasta water.
- Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the oil and sirloin to the pan and season with 1/2 teaspoon of the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic clove and cook a minute longer. Add the peppers, remaining salt and pepper flakes to the pan and cook, stirring often, for another 3 minutes or until the peppers are soft. Add 1/2 cup of the reserved pasta water to the pan followed by the drained pasta. Sprinkle 1 cup of the cheese on the bare pasta and toss well to coat in the pasta water sauce. Keep stirring and tossing while adding the remaining cup of cheese and pasta water as needed until a light creamy sauce has formed and is coating the pasta. Add the arugula and toss to wilt slightly. Serve with more olive oil and parmesan cheese if desired.