Neapolitan Ricotta Stuffed Crust Pizza
2 teaspoons plus 2 tablespoons olive oil
1 sweet or hot Italian sausage, (about 3 to 4 ounces) casing removed
1/2 cup passata or tomato puree
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Flour, for dusting
1 recipe Giada’s Pizza Dough, or 1 pound storebought
- 1/2 cup whole-milk ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons finely grated pecorino Romano
- 4 ounces whole-milk mozzarella, sliced
- 6 fresh whole basil leaves
- In a small skillet, heat 2 teaspoons of the olive oil over medium heat. Add the sausage, breaking it up with a spoon and cook until golden brown, about 5 minutes. Remove to paper towels to drain.
- In a small bowl, stir together the passata and the salt.
- Preheat the oven to 500°F. Set an oven rack in the lower third of the oven. On a lightly floured sheet of parchment paper, roll or pat the dough out to a 14-inch round. With a pizza cutter or a knife, make 8 evenly spaced 1 3/4-inch cuts from the edge towards the center of the dough. Lift the dough on the parchment onto the flip side of a large rimmed baking sheet or onto a large rimless cookie sheet.
- Spoon 1 tablespoon of the ricotta onto the dough in between each of the 8 cuts. Lift the corners of one section of dough together over the ricotta and pinch together to seal, making a point. Repeat with the 7 other cuts.
Drizzle the center of the pizza base with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and top with the pecorino and tomato. Scatter the mozzarella, sausage, and basil leaves over the tomato. Brush the points of the star with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil and bake until the crust is browned in parts and the underside is crisp, 12-15 minutes.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
- 35 grams
- 20 grams
- 28 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 11 grams
- 61 milligrams
- 799 milligrams
- 2 grams
- 4 grams