Mascarpone Apple Crumble Torta
Mascarpone Apple Crumble Torta
The Giadzy Kitchen
1 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 ounces (1 stick) cold butter, diced into small pieces
- 2 tablespoons water
- 8 ounces mascarpone, (at room temperature)
- 8 ounces cream cheese, (at room temperature)
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs, (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 large granny smith apples, (sliced)
- Powdered sugar, (to garnish)
For The Crumble:
For The Filling:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F, and set a rack to the middle of the oven.
- To a large bowl, add the flour, almond flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Add the cold butter and begin working it in with your fingers, smearing it slightly to make small streaks of butter with flour and pieces of butter. Once the butter is evenly worked in and there are remaining pieces of butter around the size of peas, add in the 2 tablespoons of water and continue to mix with your hands until evenly spread throughout. Be careful to not overwork the dough. The mixture should be loose and crumbly.
- To the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan, add 2/3 of the crumble mixture, pressing down to form a crust. Bake in the oven for about 12 to 15 minutes, or until set until just slightly golden. Set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in the bowl of an electric mixer with a paddle attachment, add the mascarpone, cream cheese, and sugar. Mix on high until fluffy and combined, for about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time, scraping with a rubber spatula if necessary, and mix on high until the batter is very smooth and creamy. Add the vanilla and apple cider vinegar, and mix until incorporated.
- Pour the mascarpone filling into the crust. Arrange the sliced apples over the top to cover the cheesecake filling, and finish by topping with the remaining 1/3rd of the crumble mixture.
- Bake in the oven for one hour, or until the topping is golden brown and only the very center of the cheesecake jiggles slightly.
- Allow the cheesecake to cool to room temperature. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving. Remove from the springform pan, and dust with powdered sugar to serve.
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 43 grams
- 9 grams
- 43 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 23 grams
- Trans Fat
- 1 grams
- 129 milligrams
- 420 milligrams
- 3 grams
- 25 grams
- Unsaturated Fat
- 8 grams
17 reviews & comments
@Diane you can certainly try using your food processor with the hook, although we’ve never tested it that way!
Hello. I don’t have a electric mixture with the paddle attachment. Can I use a food processor with the hook?
Re: Mascarpone Apple Crumble Torta. What can I substitute the eggs with since my husband is allergic. Thanks!
Yep! I used same quantity of both and tasted great 😊
Love love love this recipe! Mine turned out perfectly. I love the crumble, and the filling is so creamy and lush! To die for. I added flakes almonds to the top of mine cos I’m “extra” – definitely be making this one over and over!
Made this for Christmas dessert and it was a hit! I did add a handful of sliced almonds to the topping and will make further changes next time: will cut apples into chunks vs. slices (I peeled them and will do so again), and will toss apples with 1/4 t. almond extract. The crust + filling + tart apples combine to make a fab dessert. Brava!
Can you use a mixture of ricotta and cream cheese?
I read reviews before starting this recipe and I agree, the butter measurement error is confusing and needs to be addressed. Based on the amount of flour in the crumb, I went ahead and did 1 1/2 sticks of butter (12 oz) and this cake came out PERFECT! I bake constantly and I have to say this is hands down one of my favorite cakes made to date. Although it isn't noted in the recipe, I sliced the apples paper thin and everything was excellent. I give this recipe 10 / 10!
We are so sorry for the error in the instructions! We meant 8 tablespoons for one stick of butter. We have corrected the mistake now!
Hi Barbara! I just saw this, but I did use just 1 stick of butter…which I think is what they meant.
So….what's the correct amount if butter in the crust?? 2 sticks, 8 oz or 8 Tbsp??
Can you tell me how much butter you used??
This is just OK. First off, there is a mistake in the ingredients list. The butter is listed as 8 ounces (1 stick), but 8 ounces is 2 sticks of butter. Did you mean 8 tablespoons (which is in fact one stick) or 2 sticks? I only noticed this when I started baking this for Thanksgiving, and it caused me quite a bit of stress. I went with 1 stick of butter and that seemed to be correct, though the crumble wasn't amazing. The filling is quite good, but that's about the only thing that I liked about this torte. It wasn't a big hit at the dessert table either.
I really wanted to love this and know with a few changes it will be delicious! First off let me state that I bake a lot, just not using fruit. So I followed this recipe completely and was very sad to see that it does not state to PEEL the apples. So I didn’t peel them. Well, the crumble was delicious. The cheesecake portion was delicious! The apples were too hard to slice the cake and really changed the whole outcome of the cake. I think if the apples would have been peeled, it would have a been a different cake. I received many compliments and everyone loved the cake, so thank goodness. Will make it again with peeled apples and hopefully it’s everything I imagined it would be!
You can make this several days in advance. Yes, you do need a 9" springform pan. And thank you for your note – we will clarify in the recipe!
Just made this! And this is the first review I’ve ever left. I felt since this wasn’t rated yet it definitely needed some love! It’s delicious and SO simple. Will be making for Thanksgiving. Thanks again Giada for another winner recipe.
Hi. Questions. Not comment. Sorry! How ahead can you make this? I want to add to my Thanksgiving buffet. Also, do you need springform pan? The photo doesn’t show one and I don’t see directions about when to remove. Tx so much