Gnocchi with Thyme Butter Sauce
Main Course Side Dish
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 1/2 pounds russet potato (about 2 medium potatoes)
1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 cup all purpose flour, such as Petra, plus more for dusting
- 1 large egg (beaten)
- 1/4 cup shaved Pecorino Romano cheese
- Cook the butter in a medium skillet over medium heat until it begins to brown, about 4 minutes. Remove from the heat. Add the thyme leaves. Set aside.
- Pierce the potatoes all over with a fork. Microwave the potato until tender, turning once, about 12 minutes. While hot, cut the potatoes in half and score the flesh to allow the steam to escape. When still warm but cool enough to handle scoop the flesh into a ricer* and rice into a medium bowl. Spread evenly in the bowl to continue to allow the steam to escape. Discard the skin. Add the salt, pepper and flour and gently toss to combine. Form a well and add the egg. Using your hand and starting in the center, mix well to combine. Place the dough onto a clean counter dusted with flour. Knead the dough just until blended, about 4 or 5 times.
- Divide the dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece between your palms and the work surface into a 1/2-inch-diameter rope (about 20 inches long). Cut the dough into 1-inch pieces. Roll each piece of dough over a wooden paddle with ridges or over the tines of a fork to form grooves in the dough. Place on a well-floured surface. Continue with the remaining dough dusting the gnocchi with additional flour as you go.
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season generously with salt.
- Add the gnocchi to the boiling water and stir with a wooden spoon to prevent sticking. Cook until the gnocchi rise to the surface, about 1 minute. Continue cooking until the gnocchi are tender, about 2 to 3 minutes longer. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the gnocchi to the hot thyme-butter in the skillet. Toss to coat. Spoon the gnocchi and butter sauce into shallow bowls. Top with the Pecorino and serve.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
- 55 grams
- 11 grams
- 26 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 16 grams
- 114 milligrams
- 396 milligrams
- 3 grams
- 1 grams