You must be signed in to print this content
Gnocchi Alla Romana
Giada De Laurentiis
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, (plus more for the pan, divided)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
1 3/4 cups fine semolina flour, (such as Moretti)
1 1/2 cups freshly grated parmesan cheese, (divided)
- 2 egg yolks
2 cup marinara or pomodoro sauce, (either homemade or storebought, plus extra for dipping if desired)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano
- 5 basil leaves, (chopped, optional)
- Lined a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- To a medium saucepan add the milk, broth, 2 tablespoons butter and salt.
- Bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. When the milk mixture begins to simmer, pour the semolina into the milk in a steady stream while whisking constantly. Change to a rubber spatula and cook, stirring often until very thick and smooth, about 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Quickly stir in 1 cup of parmesan cheese and the egg yolks. Spread the mixture on the prepared tray to a 10x12 inch rectangle, about 1/3 inch thick. Allow to cool to room temperature for 30 minutes then cool entirely in the refrigerator for about 1 hour or until set.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Butter the inside of a 9x13 baking dish or oven-safe skillet, and add two cups of marinara to coat the bottom of the dish.
- Using a 2 1/2 inch round cutter, cut rounds of semolina dough. Place in the prepared baking dish overlapping the rounds slightly. Dot the top with the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, sprinkle with the chopped basil and sprinkle with the remaining 1/2 cup of parmesan and 1/2 cup pecorino cheeses. Bake for 20 minutes or until the cheese is melted and beginning to brown. Turn the broiler to high and broil for an 5 minutes or until deep golden brown and crispy. Allow to sit for 5 minutes before serving.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 70 grams
- 37 grams
- 34 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 19 grams
- 186 milligrams
- 2041 milligrams
- 5 grams
- 12 grams