Chocolate Cheesecake-Stuffed French Toast
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 Pullman loaf (crust removed)
- 1/2 cup cream cheese (at room temperature)
- 1/4 cup chocolate-hazelnut spread
- 3 eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup whole milk
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 6 ounces raspberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup orange juice (1 orange)
- Powdered sugar (for dusting)
For The French Toast:
- This recipe originally appeared on Giada Entertains. Episode: Weekend Brunch.
- For the French toast: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Make an incision in the center of the Pullman loaf, as if you were slicing the loaf in half but taking care not to cut through the ends or the back side of the loaf. Stick your hand inside the incision and press lightly on the bread to make a pocket for stuffing.
- In a small bowl, mix together the cream cheese and chocolate-hazelnut spread with a rubber spatula until smooth. Spoon the mixture into a resealable plastic bag, snip off a corner from the bag. Pipe the mixture into the pocket and close the seam slightly around it.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla and salt. Soak the stuffed loaf in the egg mixture, rotating it, until all the custard is absorbed, about 12 minutes.
- Melt the butter over medium heat in a large oven-safe nonstick skillet. Gently remove the French toast from the custard pan and place in the hot skillet, cook until golden brown on all sides except the side with the pocket, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Transfer the skillet to oven and bake until firm and an inserted metal skewer comes out dry, about 15 minutes.
- For the raspberry compote: Meanwhile, place the raspberries, granulated sugar and orange juice in a small bowl. Partially mash the fruit with the back of a fork. Set aside to macerate.
- Remove the French toast from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before cutting into slices. Serve drizzled with raspberry compote and dusted with powdered sugar.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 31 grams
- 8 grams
- 12 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 7 grams
- 69 milligrams
- 290 milligrams
- 3 grams
- 12 grams