Giada and Raffy's Miracle Rice
Giada De Laurentiis
- Unsalted butter (for the ring mold)
- 1/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 3 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 pound smoked mozzarella (grated or diced)
- 1/2 pound Taleggio cheese (torn into small pieces)
- 2 cups freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 cloves garlic (chopped)
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 bunches scallions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
- One 24.5-ounce bottle tomato puree (such as Mutti)
- 1/2 cup mascarpone
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3 sprigs fresh basil
- One 2-inch Parmesan rind
2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot (chopped)
- One 10-ounce bag frozen peas
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/3 pound thinly sliced prosciutto cotto
- Italian parsley sprigs (optional)
For The Rice:
For The Sauce:
For The Peas:
- For the rice: Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Butter the inside of a 10-inch nonstick ring mold very well all the way to the top. Coat the inside with the breadcrumbs, tapping out the excess, and set aside.
- Add the chicken broth to a medium saucepan along with the salt and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, until the liquid is absorbed, the rice is just under al dente and the mixture is creamy, about 10 minutes.
- Place the mozzarella, Taleggio, Parmesan and garlic in a large bowl. Add the hot rice to the cheese mixture. Using a rubber spatula, stir well to combine until the cheeses are melted. Add the cream to moisten. Fold in the black pepper, scallions and lemon juice. Spoon the rice mixture into the prepared ring mold and press down to pack it in tightly. Place on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly browned on top and bubbly, about 25 minutes.
- For the sauce: Meanwhile, combine the tomato puree, mascarpone, salt, basil and Parmesan rind in a medium skillet and bring to a simmer over medium heat. Simmer, stirring often, for about 15 minutes. Keep warm to serve.
- For the peas: Heat a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the oil and shallots to the skillet and cook until fragrant and beginning to soften, about 3 minutes. Add the peas and salt and cook until bright green and warmed through, another 5 minutes. Keep warm.
- To finish: Let the rice mold cool slightly for 10 to 15 minutes. Place a large, flat plate over the top of the mold and, using a kitchen towel as hot pads, carefully invert the rice onto the plate. Cover the entire rice ring with the slices of prosciutto cotto, leaving the hole open in the center. Spoon some of the peas into the center and decorate with Italian parsley sprigs, if using. To serve, use a serrated k
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 80 grams
- 35 grams
- 47 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 25 grams
- 119 milligrams
- 1941 milligrams
- 6 grams
- 8 grams