You must be signed in to print this content
Cheesy Baked Mashed Potatoes With Peas
Giada De Laurentiis
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, (at room temperature, for greasing the baking dish)
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, (at room temperature)
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, (plus extra for seasoning)
- 4 pounds russet potatoes, (peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups grated mozzarella
- 1 cup whole milk, (at room temperature)
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, (at room temperature)
- 2 cups frozen peas, (thawed)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 2 tablespoons plain dry breadcrumbs
- Extra-virgin olive oil, (for drizzling)
For The Potatoes:
For The Peas:
For The Topping:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Butter a 13- by 9- by 2-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- For the potatoes: In a large saucepan, combine the butter, salt and potatoes. Add enough cold water to cover the potatoes by 1 inch. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Boil until the potatoes are very tender, about 15 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the same pot. Using a potato masher, mash the potatoes until smooth. Mix in the mozzarella, milk, Parmesan and butter. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer the potatoes to the prepared baking dish.
- For the peas: In a medium skillet, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the thawed peas and cook until heated through. Add the salt and pepper.
- Using a large spoon, make a 4-inch well in the center of the potatoes and fill with the cooked peas.
- For the topping: Stir the cheese and breadcrumbs in a small bowl to blend. Sprinkle the breadcrumb mixture over the mashed potatoes (can be prepared up to this point 6 hours ahead of time, cover and chill).
- Drizzle the top with olive oil and bake until the topping is golden brown, about 20 minutes.
- Nutrition Serving Size
- per serving
Amount/Serving % Daily Value
- 49 grams
- 18 grams
- 27 grams
- Saturated Fat
- 17 grams
- 76 milligrams
- 1237 milligrams
- 5 grams
- 5 grams