Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
Pasta for breakfast? I say yes!
Italian Egg and Pasta Scramble
- 1/2 cup orzo pasta
- 10 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 ounces smoked mozzarella cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 ounces pancetta coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 8 thin asparagus stalks trimmed, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Add the orzo and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Drain the orzo.
- Whisk the eggs, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl to blend. Stir in the cheese and basil. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the pancetta and saute until crisp and golden, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 2 minutes. Add the asparagus and saute until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Add the orzo and stir to coat. Add the egg mixture. Using a rubber spatula, stir the mixture until the eggs are softly set, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer the egg mixture to a serving bowl and serve.