A combination of bitter, sweet, and spicy flavors makes this an especially sophisticated drink to sip by the fire.
- 1 ounce bitter orange liqueur such as Campari
- 1 ounce sweet vermouth such as Carpano Antica
- 1 ounce gin such as Plymouth
- 1 bar spoon about ¼ teaspoon anise liquor, such as Pernod
- Star anise for garnish
- To a large mixing glass with ice, add the bitter orange liqueur, sweet vermouth, and gin.
- Stir about 20 times to chill and combine. Add the anise liquor and stir one more time. Straininto a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with a whole star anise.