Much easier and lighter than the traditional version, this dish gets its flavor from fresh herbs, especially the rosemary. Brushing the chicken with herb oil instead of bread crumbs gives the chicken richness and a golden brown color.
Healthier Chicken Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh Italian parsley
- 4 chicken cutlets about 3 ounces each
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ¾ cup marinara sauce homemade or a good quality jarred sauce
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 8 teaspoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter cut into pieces
- Preheat the oven to 500°F.
- In a small bowl, stir the oil, thyme, rosemary, and parsley together to blend. Brush both sides of the cutlets with the herb oil and sprinkle with the salt and pepper.
- Heat a large, heavy ovenproof skillet over high heat. Add the cutlets and cook just until browned, about 1 minute per side. Remove from the heat.
- Spoon the marinara sauce over and around the cutlets. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of mozzarella over each cutlet, then sprinkle each with 2 teaspoons of Parmesan. Dot the tops with the butter pieces, and bake until the cheese melts and the chicken is cooked through, about 5 minutes. Serve hot.