Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This moist gluten-free cake is perfect for breakfast with coffee or a not-too-sweet dessert.
Gluten Free Pear & Caramel Cake
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound firm Anjou pears about 2 pears
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup reduced fat greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup gluten free flour such as Bob's Red Mill
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons caramel sauce such as Coop's, plus more for drizzling*
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9 inch spring form pan with nonstick cooking spray. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of the pan and place on the bottom.
- Grate the pears on the large holes of a box grater and set aside.
- In a medium bowl combine the eggs and 1 cup of sugar. Using a handheld mixer, beat on high for about 4 minutes or until thick, pale and doubled in size. Add the yogurt, olive oil, vanilla and salt and beat for another minute. Add the flour, cinnamon and baking powder and using a rubber spatula fold in the mixture until a few streaks remain. Add the grated pear and fold until combined. Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Drizzle evenly with the caramel. Bake for 45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool completely on a wire rack before serving with whipped cream and more caramel sauce if desired.