Photo Credit: Kristen Teig
Sure, this recipe is a bit of a treat, but rice flour and gluten-free panko make it a little lighter and easier on the stomach. I serve it the way they do in Italy, topped with an arugula salad dressed with lemon and salt, or without the salad and just a squeeze of lemon juice.
Gluten-Free Chicken Milanese
- 4 chicken cutlets about 4 ounces each, pounded thin
- 1¾ teaspoons kosher salt divided
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 2 large eggs beaten
- 3/4 cup gluten-free panko breadcrumbs
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper optional
- 1 lemon cut into wedges
- Preheat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Season the pounded cutlets evenly on all sides with 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Place the flour, eggs and breadcrumbs in 3 separate, shallow bowls.4.Season the flour with 1/4 teaspoons salt, the eggs with 1/4 teaspoons salt and the breadcrumbs with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- One at a time, dredge the seasoned chicken cutlets in the flour, then the egg mixture, then the breadcrumbs, pressing gently to make sure the breadcrumbs are evenly coating the chicken.
- Add the oil to the hot pan and heat another 10 seconds.
- Add the breaded chicken to the pan and cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the first side is a deep golden-brown and the chicken is beginning to look cooked around the edges.
- Work in batches if needed. Flip the cutlets and continue to cook on the second side until golden-brown and crispy, about 3 minutes longer.
- Remove the chicken to a wire rack and season with the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve hot with 1 or 2 lemon wedges.