Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
This simple salad is so easy to throw together for lunch or a light dinner. Green beans take just a few minutes to cook up, and if you have any other leftover vegetable – like blanched broccolini, roasted zucchini or eggplant – then those would be delicious as well.
What I love about this salad is that it’s so healthy, but since it’s so full of different textures and flavors, it’s really satisfying. Full of healthy beans, a citrus dressing, briney olives, crisp romaine and a bit of Parmesan, it really feels like a complete meal without weighing you down at all.
This would be delicious with some shredded chicken, grilled shrimp or broiled salmon to add even more protein!
Giada's Tuscan Salad
- 8 ounces green beans cut into 1 to 2-inch pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1 head Romaine lettuce torn
- 1 15-ounce can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup pitted black olives
- 1/2 red onion cut into slivers
- 1 lemon juiced
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ounce shaved Parmesan about 1/2 cup
- Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the green beans and stir. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until beans are slightly tender. Transfer the cooked green beans to a bowl of ice water and let cool for 3 minutes. Drain the green beans.
- In a large bowl, combine the green beans with the lettuce, cannellini beans, olives, and red onion. Toss to combine. Drizzle with lemon juice and olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and toss to coat. Top with shaved Parmesan and serve.