Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
During those early school mornings, every second counts! These frozen oatmeal cups are a super quick way to a nutritious breakfast that won’t give the kids a sugar crash at school.
Frozen Oatmeal Cups
- 1 cup old fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup quick cook steel cut Irish oats
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Unsweetened almond milk regular milk or your favorite milk alternative
- Maple syrup olive oil, flake salt, berries, toasted almonds, coconut flakes and other favorite toppings
- In a medium saucepan, bring three and a half cups of water to a boil over high heat. Add both oats to the water along with a pinch of salt and stir with a wooden spoon. Reduce the heat to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for about 8-10 minutes or until creamy. Allow to cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally. Scoop 1/4 cup amounts of oatmeal into 10 muffin tins. Freeze until solid. Remove from the freezer and allow to sit for 5 minutes to loosen slightly. Using a small offset spatula, remove the oatmeal cups and place them in a resealable freezer bag. Freeze.
- To reheat, place 2 oatmeal pucks in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir to loosen. Add 1/4 cup of your favorite milk and return to the microwave for an additional minute or until hot. Stir to combine and top with your favorite toppings.