Photo Credit: Elizabeth Newman
In Sardinia, melon and watermelon often find their way into salads. Watermelon is used most commonly, but I find it’s easier to get food cantaloupe year-round. This is super fresh tasting, and because I always like a little crunch in my salads, I’ve added some toasted walnuts. Sometimes, I add grated pecorino cheese to this as well!
Cantaloupe, Red Onion & Walnut Salad
For The Orange Vinaigrette:
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons raspberry vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
For The Salad:
- 1 cantaloupe cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup chopped walnuts toasted
- Combine the orange juice, lemon juice, and raspberry vinegar in a small bowl. Slowly add the olive oil, whisking constantly until the mixture is smooth. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- To make the salad, combine the cantaloupe, red onion, arugula, and 1/2 cup of the walnuts in a large salad bowl. Pour the dressing over the salad and toss well. Garnish with the remaining walnuts.