This dip is always a crowd pleaser – and how could it not be? Crispy bacon and deeply caramelized onions are the star of this delicious bacon onion dip. Greek yogurt gives it some bright tang, so while it has rich flavors, it doesn’t feel as heavy as mayo or sour cream-based dip.
Brighten it up even more with chives, and serve alongside pita chips, or root vegetable chips for some color.
PS – if you’re making it for a group larger than 4 to 6 people, consider doubling the recipe… it goes quickly!
Bacon Onion Dip
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 pound double smoked slab bacon diced small
- 1 large onion diced small
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup whole Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chives
- pita chips or root vegetable chips
- As seen on: Giada's Holiday Handbook, Season 2, Episode 2. Vintage-Inspired Happy Hour.
- Place the olive oil and bacon in a medium skillet and place over medium heat. Cook the bacon, stirring often, until it is golden brown and crispy, about 8 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the bacon to a paper towel lined plate. Add the onion to the pan with the bacon fat and cook slowly, stirring often until deeply caramelized, about 15 minutes. Add them to the bowl with the bacon. Let cool for about 5 minutes. Stir in the yogurt and chives. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour to let the flavors mingle. Serve with carrot ¬ëchips' or pita chips.